We are Austria's largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Vision, Automation & Control in Vienna invites applications for a:
Master Thesis „Holographic inline computational imaging"
- High-Performance Vision Systems -
- Holographic imaging is a broadly used technique in medical imaging, however the adaptation to industrial processes is still not fully employed and has high potential. This applies especially in the area of high-precision and detailed quality analysis for industrial production, because holographic imaging enables extremely detailed surfaces depths down to the nanometer range with comparable low technological effort.
- Holographic inline computational imaging (Holo ICI) uses the method of off-axis holography enabling single shot holographic image reconstruction. This makes Holo ICI an ideal candidate for fast inline inspection tasks (inline in this context means during manufacturing processes). Developing Holo ICI in combination with multiple wavelengths and the employment of digital refocusing techniques enables depth reconstruction outperforming the depth of field of classical stereoscopic imaging setups by one or several orders of magnitude.
- While writing your master thesis in our muldisciplinary team, part of the Competence Unit High-Performance Vision Systems (HVS), you will be focusing on building an off-axis holographic imaging setup or prototype Holo ICI system. In order to do this, you will be using our top-notch technology and will learn how to use at least two different laser sources and a standard industrial camera.
- For the holographic reconstruction, digital image processing steps need to be applied, for both digital refocusing and image reconstruction. Throughout the whole process you will collaborate with our scientists and will be supported by our team of experts.
- On this account, during this master thesis, you will:
- (1) deal with the design of the Holo ICI system including optical considerations such as oversampling and spatial resolution
- (2) support us in building a prototype Holo ICI system including mechanical mounting and alignment using standard components
- (3) practice the Integration of camera and computer hardware for image acquisition and data storage
- (4) learn how to reconstruct holographic images including post processing for image reconstruction and digital refocusing
- The main deliverable of this project is a working prototype Holo ICI system that incorporates two or more lasers in the setup. We expect that this holographic approach will extend the depth of field and spatial depth resolution of classical ICI through digital image propagation into different depth positions.
- You will learn the basics of holographic imaging and digital methods of holographic image propagation and reconstruction.
- You will broaden your knowledge in optical design and alignment, will gain first-hand experience and acquire know-how on current trends and developments in machine vision.
- You will experience the working environment in the scientific field of computational imaging, and at the same time, you have the chance to work closely and towards use cases that are relevant in ongoing industrial projects at AIT.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner*:
- Ongoing master's studies in Physics – preferably specialization in imaging techniques and optics
- Good knowledge in Fourier optics
- Basic knowledge in image processing with MATLAB or Python
- Enthusiastic about planning and conducting scientific studies
- Interested in technology development and applied research driven by real-world problems
- High level of commitment and team spirit
- Very good command of German or English (verbally and in writing)
What to expect:
EUR 803,-- gross per month for 20 hours/week based on the collective agreement. There will be additional company benefits. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of master theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to applications from ambitious female candidates.
TOMORROW TODAY – WITH YOU?
Please submit your application documents including your CV, cover letter and certificates online: https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/158676