We are Austria's largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Vision, Automation & Control in Vienna invites for applications for a:
PhD Thesis "Human-assisted enhancement of perception and autonomy"
- You will be part of a multidisciplinary team working at the cutting edge of technologies for autonomous systems including environment perception, navigation, control and testing.
- This research field has an enormous range of applications from construction, aviation and rail to agriculture, robotics and special purpose machinery.
- In the PhD project, you will investigate how to increase awareness of the system about its own operation, context, and expected behavior to enhance modes of operation.
- You will analyze how to leverage human interaction with the system to enhance flexibility and robustness and strengthen human-machine collaboration.
- Possible research avenues are selection and fusion of distinct sensor modalities, adaption of perception algorithms, "anomaly detection" implying self-discovery of failure modes using model- and data-driven approaches such as machine learning.
- You will work closely with experts in the fields of sensor data analysis, computer vision, and machine learning.
- You will be supervised by Prof. Matthias Scheutz, Director of the Human-Robot Interaction Lab from the Tufts School of Engineering, Boston, USA and by scientists and engineers of the Center and you will interact with experts in the specific domain.
- You will be able to achieve a PhD degree.
- You will gain experience in a group of international scientists and build up your professional network.
- You will publish your research results at conferences and in international journals.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner:
- Master studies in the field of computer science, electrical engineering, mechatronics, mathematics, physics or similar
- Good programming skills in in C++, Cuda, Python, Matlab or other languages
- Experience with machine learning applications (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow) and image-processing (e.g. stereo matching, light field, OpenCV) would be an advantage.
- Interested in reading and writing scientific publications and enjoy application-oriented questions from industry
- High level of commitment and team spirit
- Excellent knowledge of English in word and writing is mandatory.
What to expect:
EUR 2.929,- gross per month for 30 hours/week. There will be additional company benefits. You will be part of our international AIT PhD community and participate in our AIT PhD framework program. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of PhD theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to applications from female students!
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Please submit your application documents including CV, motivational letter and certificates online at: https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/135598