We are Austria's largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our LKR Leichtmetallkompetenz-zentrum Ranshofen is a subsidiary company of AIT and invites applications for a:
Master Thesis "Identification and validation of the effective stress-strain data over a large range of strain for metal forming simulation"
Light Metal Technologies
- The accuracy of an FE-simulation significantly depends on the accurate identification of the material parameters. Simulation of the metal forming processes requires the flow curve (effective stress vs. plastic strain) over a large range of strain as an input in the material card. The flow curve can be obtained from the uniaxial tension test only up to the point of diffuse necking. Several methods can be used to obtain the flow curve beyond the point of diffuse necking: stacked compression test, bulge/punch test, uniaxial tension test with digital image correlation (DIC) etc.
- In this thesis, the student will do a thorough investigation (theoretical, experimental, and simulation) on the stacked compression test and bulge/punch test. Parallelly, uniaxial tension test with DIC will be performed to be used as a reference for a comparative study.
- Thorough literature review on stacked compression test and bulge/punch test.
- Establish a routine for accurate identification of the flow curve from these testing methods.
- Determine flow curves for different aluminium alloys (sheet, extrusion) using the established routines.
- Compare the flow curves obtained from different test methods & explain the deviations, if there is any.
- Validate the flow curve at component level.
- You will identify and discuss the accuracy, advantage/disadvantage, applicability of each testing method.
- You will increase your knowledge and experience in a cutting-edge topic.
- You will gain experience in working within an international group of scientists.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner:
- You are enrolled in a technical master program
- Basic knowledge on Finite Element Method
- Experience with FE-solver (e.g. LS-DYNA, ABAQUS) is an advantage
- Experience with programming is an advantage
- Willingness to learn theoretical/scientific background of related topics
- Good command of German or English in spoken and written
What to expect:
EUR 978,- gross per month for 20 hours/week based on the collective agreement. There will be additional company benefits. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of Master theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to applications from female students!
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Please submit your application documents including, CV, motivational letter and certificates online, via: https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/122348